Have problems while migrating a physical os to a virtual machine

Hi guys.
    I'm a new kvm user and I met some problems while using kvm. I
don't know if it is appropriate to ask questions here, or if there is
some other way, please tell me. So my problem is under below:
 When I tried to migrate physical os to a virtual machine(Or boot a
physical os as a virtual machine), error occurred. Here is the
details:
1. I have two oses on my computer: one is windows xp and the other is
ubuntu which kernel is 2.6.31. And I am pretty sure that my cpu
supports Intel VT.
2. I've installed kvm on my ubuntu and I wanna migrate my physical
windows xp as a guest os of my ubuntu. The version of the kvm is
kvm-84.
3. I've successfully created a windows xp as an image(not a physical
hard disk), and the vm worked well.
4. But when I tried to migrate the physical windows xp, I met some problems.
    4.1 the command is: #kvm -hda /dev/sda1 (/dev/sda1 is my windows hard disk)
    4.2 the qemu console stop at "booting from Hard Disk" and It
seemed the booting program could not find the windows hard disk.
    4.3 Then I tried: #kvm -hda /dev/sda6(/dev/sda6 is my ubuntu hard disk)
    4.4 the quemu console shows:
          Booting from Hard Disk...
          Boot failed: not a bootable disk

          Booting from the floppy...
          Boot failed: could not read the boot disk

          Booting from the cd-rom
          Boot failed:could not read the boot disk

So my questions are:
1. Does KVM support this feature? Just migrate a physcial os as a vm,
or boot a physical os as a virtual machine?(I'm sure Xen supports this
feature);
2. If KVM does have this feature, How can I success?