Re: WinXP virtual crashes on 0.12.1.2 but not 0.12.1.1

Avi Kivity wrote:

I think the issue is probably similar to that explained in the article above; with a new processor reported to the guest, the internal processor driver tries to upload some kind of microcode to the new device which fails and causes the guest to fall over. Can we teach KVM to silently discard these kinds of updates?

Can you try loading kvm.ko with the ignore_msrs module parameter set?

Hi Avi,

I've just done a quick test re-enabling processor.sys on my WinXP guest and then did the following:

virsh stop winxp
rmmod kvm_intel
rmmod kvm
modprobe kvm ignore_msrs=1
modprobe kvm_intel
virsh start winxp

Unfortunately it still crashes with the same "DRIVER_UNLOADED_WITHOUT_CANCELING_PENDING_OPERATIONS" BSOD :(

HTH,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS
http://www.siriusit.co.uk