[no subject]

That said I don't have a strong opinion on the default, as long as
there's an option to disable MTE then having the default with it turned
on is fine by me.

>> The kernel documentation for MTE suggests that in order to take advantage
>> of it, software must be modified and recompiled. That means that users
>> that
>> don't want to use MTE won't get to exercise MTE because they won't be
>> using
>> MTE enabled software, but they will pay the overhead regardless. This of
>> course assumes that going forward software won't be using MTE by default.
>>
>> kvmtool is supposed to be simple, fast and less resource intensive than
>> other hypervisors, that's why I think having MTE disabled by default
>> is the
>> best way to implement the capability.
>
> I see kvmtool as bleeding edge hacking tool, so closer it to the edge is
> better :)

I have to admit I like the "just works" approach that the defaults give
you (e.g. p9 filesystem from host, no need to configure root filesystems
etc), so there's definitely something to be said for MTE "just working"
in kvmtool too.

Steve