Re: About two-dimensional page translation (e.g., Intel EPT) and shadow page table in Linux QEMU/KVM

Sean, sorry for the late reply. Thanks for your careful explanations.

> For emulation of any instruction/flow that starts with a guest virtual address.
> On Intel CPUs, that includes quite literally any "full" instruction emulation,
> since KVM needs to translate CS:RIP to a guest physical address in order to fetch
> the guest's code stream.  KVM can't avoid "full" emulation unless the guest is
> heavily enlightened, e.g. to avoid string I/O, among many other things.

Do you mean the emulated MMU is needed when it *only* wants to
translate GVAs to GPAs in the guest level?
In such cases, the hardware MMU cannot be used because hardware MMU
can only translate GVAs to HPAs, right?