Re: nice value is ignored on cpu time accounting of a guest?

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Avi Kivity <avi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 10/19/2009 06:46 PM, Ryota Ozaki wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a question on cputime accounting of a guest. CPU time of a
>> guest is always
>> accounted as 'user' time of cpustat even if nice value of the guest is
>> higher than 0.
>> Is there a reason to do so? I think the cpu time of the guest should
>> be accounted
>> into 'nice' as same as a normal process. Am I wrong?
>>

> Hm, guest time is accounted separately, and added to user time in /proc (so
> tools that don't know about guest time can read it as user time).

Yes, but I think always added to user time without regard to nice
value is a problem.
I want to fix it because user time is an account for processes that
have nice == 0.

> Looks like we need to add a separate guest_nice, or get rid of guest time
> altogether.

Hmm, guest time is already exposed via /proc/stat so adding guest_nice is better
if fix here? I don't know anyone utilize 'guest' value though.

  ozaki-r