Re: Unable to start VM with 5.10-rc3

Hi Zdenek,

That crash is most likely the result of a missing check for an invalid
root HPA or NULL shadow page in is_tdp_mmu_root, which could have
prevented the NULL pointer dereference.
However, I'm not sure how a vCPU got to that point in the page fault
handler with a bad EPT root page.

I see VMX in your list of flags, is your machine 64 bit with EPT or
some other configuration?

I'm surprised you are finding your machine unable to boot for
bisecting. Do you know if it's crashing in the same spot or somewhere
else? I wouldn't expect the KVM page fault handler to run as part of
boot.

I will send out a patch first thing tomorrow morning (PST) to WARN
instead of crashing with a NULL pointer dereference. Are you able to
reproduce the issue with any KVM selftest?

Ben