Re: [RFC] KVM: x86: conditionally acquire/release slots_lock on entry/exit

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 09:26:52AM -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:

> >> Two problems:
> >>
> >> 1. The removal of memslots/aliases and zapping of mmu (to remove any
> >> shadow pages with stale sp->gfn) must be atomic from the POV of the
> >> pagefault path. Otherwise something like this can happen:
> >>
> >> fault path					set_memory_region
> >>

> > srcu_read_lock()
> >
> >> walk_addr fetches and validates
> >> table_gfns
> >> 						delete memslot
> >> 						synchronize_srcu
> >>
> >> fetch creates shadow
> >>

> > srcu_read_unlock()
> >
> >> page with nonexistant sp->gfn
> >>

> > I think synchronize_srcu() will be deferred until the fault path is
> > complete (and srcu_read_unlock() runs).  Copying someone who knows for
> > sure.
>
> Yes, synchronize_srcu() will block until srcu_read_unlock() in this
> scenario, assuming that the same srcu_struct is used by both.

Right it will. But this does not stop the fault path from creating
shadow pages with stale sp->gfn (the only way to do that would be mutual
exclusion AFAICS).

> >> OR
> >>
> >> mmu_alloc_roots path				set_memory_region
> >>

> > srcu_read_lock()
> >

> >> 						delete memslot
> >> root_gfn = vcpu->arch.cr3<<  PAGE_SHIFT
> >> mmu_check_root(root_gfn)			synchronize_rcu
> >> kvm_mmu_get_page()
> >>

> > srcu_read_unlock()
> >
> >> 						kvm_mmu_zap_all
> >>

> > Ditto, srcu_read_lock() protects us.
>
> Yep!

The RCU read-protected side does not stop a new memslots pointer from
being assigned (with rcu_assign_pointer), does it?

> >> Accesses between kvm_mmu_get_page and kvm_mmu_zap_all window can see
> >> shadow pages with stale gfn.
> >>
> >> But, if you still think its worthwhile to use RCU, at least handling
> >> gfn_to_memslot / unalias_gfn errors _and_ adding mmu_notifier_retry
> >> invalidation to set_memory_region path will be necessary (so that
> >> gfn_to_pfn validation, in the fault path, is discarded in case
> >> of memslot/alias update).
> >
> > It really is worthwhile to reuse complex infrastructure instead of writing
> > new infrastructure.
>
> Marcelo, in your first example, is your concern that the fault path
> needs to detect the memslot deletion?

Yes, it needs to invalidate the leakage, which in this case is a shadow
page data structure which was created containing information from a now
deleted memslot.

> Or that the use of sp->gfn "leaks" out of the SRCU read-side critical
> section?

Yes, use of a stale sp->gfn leaks outside of the SRCU read side critical
section and currently the rest of the code is not ready to deal with
that... but it will have to.

> 							Thanx, Paul
>
> >> 2. Another complication is that memslot creation and kvm_iommu_map_pages
> >> are not atomic.
> >>
> >> create memslot
> >> synchronize_srcu
> >> 				<----- vcpu grabs gfn reference without
> >> 				       iommu mapping.
> >> kvm_iommu_map_pages
> >>
> >> Which can be solved by changing kvm_iommu_map_pages (and new gfn_to_pfn
> >> helper) to use base_gfn,npages,hva information from somewhere else other
> >> than visible kvm->memslots (so that when the slot becomes visible its
> >> already iommu mapped).
> >
> > Yes.  It can accept a memslots structure instead of deriving it from
> > kvm->memslots.  Then we do a rcu_assign_pointer() to switch the tables.

Alright.

> >> So it appears to me using RCU introduces more complications / subtle
> >> details than mutual exclusion here. The new request bit which the
> >> original patch introduces is limited to enabling/disabling conditional
> >> acquision of slots_lock (calling it a "new locking protocol" is unfair)
> >> to improve write acquision latency.
> >>

> > It's true that it is not a new locking protocol.  But I feel it is
> > worthwhile to try to use rcu for this; at least it will make it easier for
> > newcomers (provided they understand rcu).

Sure.