Re: [RFC] KVM: x86: conditionally acquire/release slots_lock on entry/exit

On 09/11/2009 01:30 AM, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

We don't need to stop vcpus, just kick them out of guest mode to let
them notice the new data.  SRCU does that well.
Two problems:

1. The removal of memslots/aliases and zapping of mmu (to remove any
shadow pages with stale sp->gfn) must be atomic from the POV of the
pagefault path. Otherwise something like this can happen:

fault path					set_memory_region

srcu_read_lock()

walk_addr fetches and validates
table_gfns
						delete memslot
						synchronize_srcu

fetch creates shadow

srcu_read_unlock()

page with nonexistant sp->gfn

I think synchronize_srcu() will be deferred until the fault path is complete (and srcu_read_unlock() runs). Copying someone who knows for sure.

OR

mmu_alloc_roots path				set_memory_region

srcu_read_lock()

						delete memslot
root_gfn = vcpu->arch.cr3<<  PAGE_SHIFT
mmu_check_root(root_gfn)			synchronize_rcu
kvm_mmu_get_page()

srcu_read_unlock()

						kvm_mmu_zap_all

Ditto, srcu_read_lock() protects us.

Accesses between kvm_mmu_get_page and kvm_mmu_zap_all window can see
shadow pages with stale gfn.

But, if you still think its worthwhile to use RCU, at least handling
gfn_to_memslot / unalias_gfn errors _and_ adding mmu_notifier_retry
invalidation to set_memory_region path will be necessary (so that
gfn_to_pfn validation, in the fault path, is discarded in case
of memslot/alias update).

It really is worthwhile to reuse complex infrastructure instead of writing new infrastructure.

2. Another complication is that memslot creation and kvm_iommu_map_pages
are not atomic.

create memslot
synchronize_srcu
				<----- vcpu grabs gfn reference without
				       iommu mapping.
kvm_iommu_map_pages

Which can be solved by changing kvm_iommu_map_pages (and new gfn_to_pfn
helper) to use base_gfn,npages,hva information from somewhere else other
than visible kvm->memslots (so that when the slot becomes visible its
already iommu mapped).

Yes. It can accept a memslots structure instead of deriving it from kvm->memslots. Then we do a rcu_assign_pointer() to switch the tables.

So it appears to me using RCU introduces more complications / subtle
details than mutual exclusion here. The new request bit which the
original patch introduces is limited to enabling/disabling conditional
acquision of slots_lock (calling it a "new locking protocol" is unfair)
to improve write acquision latency.

It's true that it is not a new locking protocol. But I feel it is worthwhile to try to use rcu for this; at least it will make it easier for newcomers (provided they understand rcu).