Re: qemu polling KVM_IRQ_LINE_STATUS when stopped

On Thu, 2020-06-25 at 21:17 +0200, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> On 25/06/20 20:56, Kevin Locke wrote:
>>> Windows 10 can use the Hyper-V synthetic timer instead of the RTC, which
>>> shouldn't have the problem.
>>
>> That's great news!  Since I'm able to reproduce the issue on a
>> recently installed Windows 10 2004 VM on Linux 5.7 with QEMU 5.0, is
>> there anything I can do to help isolate the bug, or is it a known
>> issue?
>
> You need to enable Hyper-V enlightenments, with something like
>
> -cpu host,hv_vpindex,hv_runtime,hv_synic,hv_stimer,hv_reset,hv_time,hv_relaxed
>
> on the QEMU command line.

Bingo!  I was using the defaults from virt-manager:[1]

-cpu $host,hv-time,hv-relaxed,hv-vapic,hv-spinlocks=0x1fff

Using to the enlightenments you suggested solves the high CPU when
paused issue for me.  After a bit of testing, it appears that
hv_stimer is the key.  High CPU when paused does not occur when that
enlightenment is enabled, regardless of which others are
enabled/disabled.

Is there any reason not to add it to the virt-manager defaults for
Windows 10?  Any other suggestions about which enlightenments to
enable or disable by default?

Thanks again,
Kevin

[1]: https://github.com/virt-manager/virt-manager/blob/v2.2.1/virtinst/domain/features.py#L74-L83