Re: qemu polling KVM_IRQ_LINE_STATUS when stopped

On 20/10/2017 02:34, Andi Kleen wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 09:24:33PM +0200, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
>> On 18/10/2017 19:49, Andi Kleen wrote:
>>>
>>> The ioctl appears to be the PIC timer
>>>
>>>   - 6.36% __GI___ioctl                                                                                                                                ▒
>>>            kvm_vm_ioctl                                                                                                                                   ▒
>>>            kvm_set_irq                                                                                                                                    ▒
>>>            kvm_pic_set_irq
>>
>> PIC is the interrupt controller, why do you say the timer?  What is the
>> QEMU side of the call stack?
>

> I did some more sampling in gdb this time.
>
> All the timer call backs I caught are rtc_period_timer.
>
> Perhaps that needs to be stopped when the guest is stopped?

Unfortunately that's not possible in general.  Windows uses the periodic
timer to track wall time (!), so if you do that your clock is going to
be late when you resume the guest.

But yeah, we might have to figure out a way to do that for non-Windows
guests.  But why is the RTC periodic timer on at all in your setup?

Paolo