Re: Using KVM for Windows kernel debugging

Hi Yan,

2009/8/18 Yan Vugenfirer <yvugenfi@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> In case you don’t need to debug the boot process you could wait for the
> Windows to  start and only then start Windbg configure the communication
> options and hit break (ctrl+break) to initiate debug session.

That would be fine; I have no requirement to debug the boot process
currently.  I'm actually trying to debug a driver segfault which
causes a bluescreen on load, and I can control when the driver is
loaded using userspace applications.

However, when I tried the above, I get:

   Failed to open \\.\com1
   Kernel debugger failed initialisation, Win32 error 0n5 "Access is denied."

However, I have administrative rights on the machine.  Just in case
the error actually relates to the target machine, I double checked
with kdbgctl.exe that kernel debugging is allowed on the target, and
it reports that full access is permitted.

Tom
--
Tom Parkin
www.thhp.org.uk