Re: How much physical memory can be used to run domains in a KVM machine?

On Friday 17 July 2009 17:56:49 sudhir kumar wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 12:47 PM, Dor Laor<dlaor@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 07/17/2009 08:50 AM, Zhang Qian wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have a KVM box which has 4GB physical memory totally, I'd like to
> >> know how much I can use to run my domains, and how much will be
> >> reserved by hypervisor(KVM) itself?
> >> Thanks!
> >
> > KVM and the Linux host use relatively low amount of memory.
> > Unlike other hypervisors you know, kvm does not reserve memory and also
> > is able to swap the guest memory, so you can even use more than 4G for
> > your
>
> Is that true? I think we can not allocate memory more than the
> physical RAM. Or does upstream kvm supports it? My kvm version is not
> that old but memory allocation failed for me when I tried to give the
> whole memory on my host to the guest.

It's not specific to KVM. QEmu use malloc()/mmap() to allocate memory for KVM,
which is controlled by Linux kernel memory overcommit policy. Linux kernel
didn't support memory overcommit by default. You can refer to
Document/vm/overcommit-accounting and other related document to enable it.

--
regards
Yang, Sheng