Re: How much physical memory can be used to run domains in a KVM machine?

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 12:47 PM, Dor Laor<dlaor@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 07/17/2009 08:50 AM, Zhang Qian wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a KVM box which has 4GB physical memory totally, I'd like to
>> know how much I can use to run my domains, and how much will be
>> reserved by hypervisor(KVM) itself?
>> Thanks!
>>

> KVM and the Linux host use relatively low amount of memory.
> Unlike other hypervisors you know, kvm does not reserve memory and also is
> able to swap the guest memory, so you can even use more than 4G for your
Is that true? I think we can not allocate memory more than the
physical RAM. Or does upstream kvm supports it? My kvm version is not
that old but memory allocation failed for me when I tried to give the
whole memory on my host to the guest.

> guest. (Just note swapping will be slow)
>

>> Regards,
>> Qian
>> --

Sudhir Kumar