Re: KVM-unit-tests on AMD

> On Oct 8, 2019, at 5:19 AM, Vitaly Kuznetsov <vkuznets@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Nadav Amit <nadav.amit@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> Is kvm-unit-test supposed to pass on AMD machines or AMD VMs?.
>
> It is supposed to but it doesn't :-) Actually, not only kvm-unit-tests
> but the whole SVM would appreciate some love ...
>
>> Clearly, I ask since they do not pass on AMD on bare-metal.
>
> On my AMD EPYC 7401P 24-Core Processor bare metal I get the following
> failures:
>
> FAIL vmware_backdoors (11 tests, 8 unexpected failures)
>
> (Why can't we just check
> /sys/module/kvm/parameters/enable_vmware_backdoor btw???)
>
> FAIL svm (15 tests, 1 unexpected failures)
>
> There is a patch for that:
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/kvm/d3eeb3b5-13d7-34d2-4ce0-fdd534f2bcc3@xxxxxxxxxx/T/#t
>
> Inside a VM on this host I see the following:
>
> FAIL apic-split (timeout; duration=90s)
> FAIL apic (timeout; duration=30)
>
> (I manually inreased the timeout but it didn't help - this is worrisome,
> most likely this is a hang)
>
> FAIL vmware_backdoors (11 tests, 8 unexpected failures)
>
> - same as on bare metal
>
> FAIL port80 (timeout; duration=90s)
>
> - hang again?
>
> FAIL svm (timeout; duration=90s)
>
> - most likely a hang but this is 3-level nesting so oh well..
>
> FAIL kvmclock_test
>
> - bad but maybe something is wrong with TSC on the host? Need to
>  investigate ...
>
> FAIL hyperv_clock
>
> - this is expected as it doesn't work when the clocksource is not TSC
>  (e.g. kvm-clock)
>
> Are you seeing different failures?

Thanks for your quick response.

I only ran the “apic” tests so far and I got the following failures:

FAIL: correct xapic id after reset
…
x2apic not detected
FAIL: enable unsupported x2apic
FAIL: apicbase: relocate apic

The test gets stuck after “apicbase: reserved low bits”.

Well, I understand it is not a bare-metal thing.