Re: Tap initialization

 I've been having some problem with recent releases when it comes to tap
 initialization. It seems that the script is ran after the tap is opened. I
 think this is a bit weird and useless as I want the script to setup the
 tap by itself.

 In net.c, the initialization (I assume) happen in
 static int net_tap_init

 setup_script is called after tap_open with the fd from tap_open as a
 parameter.

 However in setup_script, the fd is basically not used.

 Would there be any reason not to remove the fd parameter to setup_script,
 and then call setup_script before tap_open ?

 I've tried it with kvm-86 and it seems to work

You can get the same effect by setting up tap before launching qemu, and using qemu -net tap,ifname=...,script=no.

I thought that the point of the scripts was to have qemu create/delete taps as needed.

Most examples on the internet are based on that.

Another improvement would be to run the down script after qemu stops using the taps so that they can be deleted.

How do I create a patch and submit it?