Re: Newbie, struggling with graphics and qemu monitor

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 11:18 AM, Avi Kivity<avi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 06/30/2009 06:35 PM, Michael Jinks wrote:
>>
>> My first hitch was that apparently SDL isn't working properly on my
>> system, because running a console with SDL enabled just prints garbage
>> characters to my xterm.
<snip>

> I'd start fixing this first.

Okay, that's helpful all by itself, apparently I'm not just up against
known bad behavior.

> Do other SDL applications work?  Is SDL fully
> installed?

I honestly don't know.  Several SDL packages are present and intact
according to my system's package manager (libsdl, sdl-gfx, sdl-image
and others), and the same package manager knows that SDL is a
dependency for kvm, so, maybe.  But when I go looking for simple SDL
demo programs to test with, I have more trouble.  The SDL web site's
list of demo programs is mostly made up of broken links, and the demo
programs I have been able to track down and install are failing for
reasons that don't look SDL-related. (For instance, "ballfield" from
http://olofson.net/examples.html will run, pops up a window briefly,
then crashes with "Could not load balls!")

So, any tips on how to test my SDL in a way that comes close to what
KVM expects?

One package which appears to use SDL is links, which does work fine in
a terminal window but I don't know if I'm actually exercising the SDL
facility or not, mostly it just looks like a curses app.