Re: first time using kvm virt-install and getting an error

On 2/4/19 10:39 PM, Manuel Sopena Ballesteros wrote:
Dear kvm community,

I am learning Openstack/Ironic and tried to build my own image, following the documentation I have to run virt-install with no success, below is the output from running my command:

# virt-install --virt-type kvm --name centos --ram 1024   --disk /tmp/centos.qcow2,format=qcow2   --network network=default   --graphics vnc,listen=0.0.0.0 --noautoconsole   --os-type=linux --os-variant=centos7.0   --location=/root/CentOS-7-x86_64-NetInstall-1810.iso

Starting install...
Retrieving file .treeinfo...                                                                                                                                                                                                          |    0 B  00:00:00
Retrieving file content...                                                                                                                                                                                                            |    0 B  00:00:00
Retrieving file vmlinuz...                                                                                                                                                                                                            | 6.3 MB  00:00:00
Retrieving file initrd.img...                                                                                                                                                                                                         |  50 MB  00:00:00
ERROR    unsupported configuration: CPU mode 'custom' for x86_64 kvm domain on x86_64 host is not supported by hypervisor
Domain installation does not appear to have been successful.
If it was, you can restart your domain by running:
   virsh --connect qemu:///system start centos
otherwise, please restart your installation.

Hmm that's a strange error. Libvirt is reject its own default config I think. Probably want to file a bug with the distro providing libvirt/qemu. But you might be able to work around it by adding --cpu host-passthrough to the virt-install command line, or get a better error

- Cole