kvmtool: repeated guest hangs under block IO load

Hi everyone,

Hope this is the right place for this .. I have been using kvmtool as
it seems nicely lightweight compared to qemu. However certain
workloads - specifically the Debian/Ubuntu install / dist-upgrade
process - seem to trigger hangs of the guest; most obvious symptom is
the console stops echoing keystrokes.

This is on Ubuntu 18.04/x64, but I have tried building kvmtool from
git with no improvement. I'm using the Ubuntu kvm kernel in the guest
and the regular generic one on the host; both of these are based on
4.15.18 currently by the looks of it.

I so far haven't managed to reproduce this using qemu, so I'm assuming
it's kvmtool specific.

Any suggestions on possible configuration problems, or how I can help
to debug further?

Thanks,
Steve