VM Exit and EPT_MISCONFIG

Hi there,

We were trying to assigned the SSD (Crucial M500) to the KVM guest
under the VFIO framework and with the Intel VT-d support. When the
guest directly read from or wrote to the SSD (O_DIRECT), there were
many VM exits due to EPT_MISCONFIG. After gathering information from
the internet and the KVM code, starting from "handle_ept_misconfig",
it seemed the exits were related to the MMIO operations. As far as we
understood about the PCI device passthrough, the guest could control
the PCI device without the hypervisor intervention. In our case, the
KVM hypervisor trapped and emulated the MMIO operations. We were
wondering if we understood this correctly? What would be the reasons
for such a traps and emulations? It would be great if there

Best,

Kevin