RE: Status of pci passthrough work?

Hi Amit,

        Please correct me if I am wrong, but the fact that the PVDMA module is located in the guest imposes a security problem. So, if someone in the guest has root access, he could modify the PVDMA module and then corrupt the host memory. Because of this the guest has to be trusted. I had an idea that I would like to check with you to see if this is feasible.

        What if I need pci passthrough in a known hardware platform where I know all the pci hardware devices, could I intercept the DMA commands to these PCI devices at qemu level and then do the translation from pseudo physical to physical memory address at that level? Since I know which are the devices present in the platform, I also know which are the PCI commands to configure the DMA transfers in the PCI device. Before forwarding this to the real PCI I could change the memory address to a physical one.

Do you think this is possible?

Thanks,
Pablo