Re: Unsure how to file this complex qemu-kvm bug

On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 12:12:41PM -0800, Robert M. Muncrief wrote:
> There's a bug in qemu-kvm, but only when using OVMF. It's very complicated
> software and I did my best to research how to file a meaningful and detailed
> bug for it but I'm stumped.
>
> The problem only occurs with Windows 7 and Windows 10 guests using OVMF, and
> prevents passthrough HDMI from working on my R9-390 GPU, the video itself is
> fine. The GPU HDMI works perfectly with SeaBIOS and bare metal installs (I
> did bare metal test installs of both W7 and W10 in UEFI mode). I normally
> run an Ubuntu 16.04 host, but also did a test install with Ubuntu 17.04
> since it has the latest qemu-kvm. I then did a test install with a Fedora 27
> host and the results were the same. Of course I also tried a plethora of
> different W7/W10 HDMI driver versions, and worked on the problem for over
> two weeks trying to solve it.

What does "prevents passthrough HDMI" mean?

Please post the exact commands you are executing, including the QEMU
command-line (ps aux | grep qemu on the host).

Please post exact error messages.

> I would be content with SeaBIOS but though it works great with my GPU HDMI
> it has passthrough problems with other things, in my case Marvell SATA
> controllers (I tried 7 different Marvell chipset version PCIE cards as well
> as my motherboard Marvell chipset). As a result I had to reconfigure my
> computer and give up 5 SATA ports using a degraded configuration. By the way
> the ASM1061 isn't an option because I'm trying to passthrough an optical
> drive, which causes kernel hangs and crashes with all versions up to 4.14.

Sounds like several other bugs which could also be reported if you
provide details.

> So if someone could point me in the right direction on how to file this bug
> I'll be happy to do whatever work is necessary, this is a fairly critical
> issue fore me. I'm an embedded systems designer so I have substantial
> technical skills, and have fully installed OVMF W7 and W10 guests. As I said
> I just have have no idea where to begin to file a meaningful bug report that
> can actually help developers discover the problem.

Please post the details I've requested above.  Hopefully that will make
it possible to identify a person who can help debug it further.

Thanks,
Stefan