Re: kvm-autotest: The automation plans?

On 05/14/2009 01:29 PM, sudhir kumar wrote:
> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 12:22 PM, jason wang<jasowang@xxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>> 2) Public bridge support: I've sent a patch(TAP network support in
>> kvm-autotest), this patch needs external DHCP server and requires nmap
>> support. I don't know whether the method of original kvm_runtes_old(DHCP
>> server of private bridge) is preferable.
> The old approach is better. All might not be able to run an external
> DHCP server for running the test. I do not see any issue with the old
> approach.

Some drawbacks of the local dhcp server were:
1. The guests are not connected to the network. That mean we can not access the
internet from a guest (unless we implement a proxy on the host). We've done it
that way to make sure our local dhcp server only serves VMs, and will not
interfere with an existing dhcp server, if exists.

2. We implemented it only for specific Linux hosts Fedora/RHEL and Ubuntu.
cleanup was not best too.

Some advantages were:
1. Use the same configuration (e.g. guest MAC addresses) on many different host
with no conflicts.
2. Support users with no external dhcp server (or no access to its configuration).
3. Preconfigured, works out of the box.

Note that it was flexible. Local dhcp server was the default but one could
define the framework to use external dhcp server too.

The current approach is that the user should setup whatever (s)he needs before
running the tests, including setup of a dhcp server (to be used with TAP).

Regards,
    Uri.