Re: [RFC] Another Para-Virtualization page recycler. Empty Guest OS free pages every few seconds

On 20/09/2017, Jan Kiszka wrote:

>> For Windows guest, PPR should be adapted to the page-allocation interface,
>> but we haven't found the corresponding interface in windows, so we adapted to
>> windows based on ballooning driver.

> Yeah, that is likely an internal you will not easily get MS to open up -
> unless there is value with multiple hypervisors, maybe.

Our solution is architecture independent, and we would like to extent it to different hypervisors.

>> In the driver, we allocate memory pages from the guest, set a mark and put into a pool.
>> The size of the pool is adjusted dynamically according to the actual memory usage of the guest.
>>
>> and the PPR for windows can be found here:
>> https://github.com/baibantech/kvm-guest-drivers-windows.git

> Thanks for sharing. Do you have numbers with such a Windows setup as well?

You're welcome. We did not carry out large-scale experiments under windows guest right now,
and we would like to test windows numbers later.

thx,
gaspar