Re: [GIT PULL] Please pull my kvm-ppc-next branch again

Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 7:03 PM, Michael Ellerman <mpe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> You mean this conflict, or was there more? Sure it's annoying, but it's
>> hardly the worst conflict ever. I really think Linus could have coped
>> with it.
> The occasional random conflict that people knew about just isn't a problem.
>
> But if the same subsystem just keeps on generating conflicts with
> others time and again, _that_ is indicative of a real problem. And
> then the problem isn't the conflict per se, but the fact that two
> submaintainers keep on stepping on each others toes, and we need to
> figure out why, and how to solve it. So even then, the problem isn't
> about resolving the conflict itself, but about resolving whatever
> issue in our code flow that keeps causing that kind of annoying
> friction.

Thanks for the explanation.

We have had some small conflicts over the last few releases, but I don't
think it's really indicative of a problem. It's certainly not that Paul
and I are oblivious of each other - he pesters me endlessly - but just
that the code is intertwined.

Perhaps we can organise the code better to avoid problems in future, and
now that a lot of the changes for Power9 are in, things should hopefully
get better anyway.

cheers