Re: [GIT PULL] Please pull my kvm-ppc-next branch again

On Tue, May 09, 2017 at 11:24:49AM +0200, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> Good, that was my understanding - and I wanted to single out this
> conflict because
>
> 1) I wasn't even sure if Paul was aware of it, since the conflict
> surprised me when doing my own trial merge.  I'd like to be aware of
> arch vs. KVM conflicts, just like Linus, so that I can relay the
> information to him precisely;

Stephen did mention it to me, but I didn't have it in mind when I sent
the pull request.  Sorry about that.

> 2) I'm not sure about why PPC/KVM conflicts keep on happening.  KVM on
> PPC seems to be more tightly integrated with non-KVM code than other
> architectures.  _But it's also the other way round_ which seems less
> healthy to me.  I'm not sure if that is really necessary, but if not,
> please refactor things so that we don't step on each other's toes
> unnecessarily.  Perhaps real mode handlers should be in
> arch/powerpc/kernel/ and only arch/powerpc/kvm/, so that the latter only
> cares about virtualization?  Maybe the whole napping and CPU thread
> management should be done outside arch/powerpc/kvm/?  Not sure if that
> makes any sense, but to my eyes there are definitely too many KVM parts
> in hardware enablement patches (and BTW it's just crazy that PPC has
> about 4k lines of assembly).

The last two merge windows have seen a lot of changes in the PPC code,
both generally and for KVM, because of the POWER9 support coming in.
Compared to POWER8, POWER9 has a lot of very significant architecture
changes specifically designed to benefit Linux and KVM, which is
wonderful, but has also meant a lot of code changes.

We're working on moving the assembly code to C where possible, and as
Ben said, things are actually getting a lot simpler on POWER9 (though
of course we'll have to keep supporting POWER8 for a while yet).

> Maybe PPC *is* the special snowflake where interaction should be
> primarily with arch maintainers rather than myself.  Then let's just
> have topic branches for the occasional API patch (new KVM_CAP_*
> constants would be the gist of it) and otherwise let Michael merge
> KVM/PPC patches.

There are certainly parts of the PPC KVM code that would naturally be
considered as part of low-level machine enablement, and I think it
does make sense for them to go via Michael.

> But in any case, to my eyes there _is_ a pattern, and a problem.  It
> doesn't matter that the canary is a cherry-pick conflict that Linus
> could solve blinded and with one hand tied behind his back.

Point taken.

Cheers,
Paul.