Re: Paravirtualisation or not?

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 9:49 AM, howard chen <howachen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 10:44 PM, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Mon, May 04, 2009 at 10:40:00PM +0800, howard chen wrote:
>> Yes, paravirtualization is good. If running KVM, use paravirtualized network
>> and disk/block drivers for better performance.
>
> So does it mean generally Xen is more optimized than KVM for speed?

no

Xen started as paravirtualization-only, and later got full
virtualization capabilities, mainly to run windows guests.

KVM is full-virtualization-only.  if things stopped there, then yes,
Xen would be much faster than kvm.

but on almost all cases, biggest bottleneck (by far) isn't the CPU,
it's I/O. adding paravirtualization drivers to a fully virtualized
guest brings it roughly to the same speed level as a PV guest.  that
makes kvm comparable to Xen in most workloads.

there some real advantages of kvm:

- less context switches needed to make a block or packet go from guest
to hardware and viceversa

- paravirtualized drivers widely available both for Linux and Windows
(Xen's drivers on windows can be hard and/or expensive to get)

- tight work with the qemu/kernel guys make big advances in througput.
 i recall that virtio-net can go near 2Gbit with little tuning, almost
twice as the best Xen numbers.

of course, there are also several hard, real advantages of Xen:

- the hypervisor's scheduler is more appropriate for dataserver
managers that sell VMs

- wider recognition from supporting companies (changing quickly)

several more for each side that i don't remember right now, i'm sure

--
Javier