Re: kvm-85: virtio-blk not working

On Friday 24 April 2009 09:35:52 Gerd v. Egidy wrote:
> Hi Bernhard,
>
> On Friday 24 April 2009 14:56:15 Bernhard Held wrote:
> > > does not boot, BIOS complains "Boot failed: could not read the boot
> > > disk":
> > >
> > > -drive file=/dev/VolGroup00/testpart,if=virtio,index=0 \
> >
> > Please try with:
> > -drive file=/dev/VolGroup00/testpart,if=virtio,index=0,boot=on \
>
> That's it! With boot=on it works.
>
> Thanks for pointing this out.
>
> Was this change intentional? I didn't see it mentioned in the changelog and
> could not even find the "boot"-parameter in the qemu-kvm manpage.

The boot=on parameter has been required since virtio_blk existed (or very
close to it). There is no official qemu/kvm manpage. That's something some
distros pulled out of thin air. So bugs with it should be reported to your
distro.

> I usually start kvm via libvirt and libvirt doesn't know anything about
> boot=on, at least not in 0.6.2. I did not have time to try 0.6.3 as it was
> released just yet.

I don't really use libvirt and friends, but I'd imagine that I'd have dealt
with a lot more issues in the irc channel if it didn't support booting from
virtio devices in some way. Maybe someone else will speakup and tell you how
to do it within the confines of libvirt.

--Brian Jackson