Re: kvm 84 update

I, too, am trying out the KVM 84 build for Hardy. I didn't have any problems with networking (I'm using a bridge interface), except I had to specify script=/etc/kvm/kvm-ifup, unlike with KVM 62. Without specifying any script=, kvm looks for /etc/kvm-ifup, which does not exist. Perhaps this is just a glitch with the way the Ubuntu folks built the package.

However, live migration simply doesn't work right. When it completes, the migrated guest always immediately crashes in some fashion (I've had an oops, a panic, and a reboot). I can send the original a "cont" command, however, and it will resume as if nothing had happened.

If I first stop the guest, then migration works great, and it's fast enough to hardly notice the brief unresponsiveness. However, there's a nuisance here, too. The migrated VM uses the full amount of memory allocated to it, even though the original may have been using only a small fraction. I tried issuing a balloon command to shrink it; the guest VM did see the smaller memory size, but the kvm process itself did not change memory consumption. When I used the balloon command to set it back to the original, full size, the guest VM saw its memory shrink down to nothing until all processes had been killed by the out-of-memory killer.

"info balloon" tells me:
Using KVM without synchronous MMU, ballooning disabled

So, I assume I don't have everything I need to try ballooning properly to see if I can reduce the excess memory consumed by the migrated guest VM.

Thanks,

Brent Nelson
Director of Computing
Dept. of Physics