Re: kvm-autotest -- introducing kvm_runtest_2

----- "Ryan Harper" <ryanh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> * Michael Goldish <mgoldish@xxxxxxxxxx> [2009-03-12 02:26]:

> much
> had
> > > the
> if
> > > you
> > >
> > > I created a stepfile for RHEL5 and what I'm seeing is that one of
> the
> > > screens I captured in stepmaker ended up having a focus ring
> around
> > > something and on replay the focus isn't there.  This situation
> isn't
> > > something that a new algo will fix as you pointed out.  I'm
> wondering
> > > if
> > > this is something you've seen.  I don't quite understand how it
> would
> > > happen since stepmaker and the replace send the same keystrokes.
> > > also
> > > don't see how in general this can be avoided.
> >
> > The problem sounds familiar. Does the ring appear around one of the
> > GNOME menubars, i.e. around "Applications" or "System"? GNOME seems
> > be somewhat indeterministic with those rings. If you run the
> stepfile
> > several times, you'll notice that in most cases you'll see a focus
> > ring (or no focus ring, I don't quite remember) and the rest of the
> > time you'll get the other case.
>
> Ding Ding Ding! =)
>

> > This can be avoided either with experience, or a good wiki entry on
> > picking the right barriers (which we plan to create). But you don't
> > have to avoid making mistakes with stepmaker -- most types of
> mistakes
> > are fixed very quickly and easily with stepeditor.
>
> yep, used stepeditor to fix; defintely worth documenting where one
> should be invoking stepeditor -- from the steps dir; if you don't run
> it from there, it won't find the steps_data dir =(

Are you absolutely sure about that? That's not the way it's supposed to be. I tried running it on several machines and it worked every time regardless of where I invoked it from. Since it resides in the kvm_runtest_2 dir, I usually just change to that directory and type ./stepeditor.py. Then I use file->open and pick the steps file, and it works.

If you have a very recent version, you should have a dir named "steps_data" under "kvm_runtest_2", right next to "steps". Inside "steps_data" you should have the data dirs. For "steps/RHEL5.steps" the corresponding data dir would be "steps_data/RHEL5.steps_data/".
If you have a slightly older version, you should have the data dirs inside the "steps" dir, next to the stepfiles themselves. For "steps/RHEL5.steps", the corresponding data dir would be "steps/RHEL5.steps_data/".

> I'll have to go back and re-read your email on where to put the
> reference ppm files so one gets the refrence comparision.

The paragraph above applies to the reference comparison as well.

> > The other thing has to do with the ISO files. kvm_runtest has a
> very
> > important feature that we innocently forgot to implement in
> > kvm_runtest_2 -- md5sum verification of the ISO files. This means
> that
> > the framework currently makes no use of the "md5sum" and
> "md5sum_1m"
> > parameters in the config file. This means you might be using
> different
> > ISOs than the ones we made our stepfiles with. In that case I
> wouldn't
> > expect any stepfile to succeed. However, if you used these same
> ISOs
> > with kvm_runtest then they should be fine. In any case, I'll add
> the
> > feature ASAP to the git repository.
>
> Right - I suppose it might be better if the names of the windows iso
> disks matched how MS names them in MSDN, for example, kvm_runtest
> refers
> to  Windows2008-x64.iso  which doesn't match any name from MSDN, what
> we
> have is:
> en_windows_server_2008_datacenter_enterprise_standard_x64_dvd_X14-26714.iso

This is a very good idea. I wonder how we can find out the MSDN names of the ISOs we have.
BTW, did the ISO you mentioned work with kvm_runtest?