Re: Issues with virtio_net in multiple guests?

Ken Robertson wrote:
> Jim,
>
> That was it!  I didn't realize there was some significance of certain
> bits within the address.  Changing that first byte resolved the issue.
>  Should I be setting the 2nd bit in the LSB to 1?  I started logging
> into all the systems I have access to and realized all of them have 00
> as the first byte in the address.  Should I just stick to 00 on all
> mine?  Or by making that 2nd bit 1, does that force the card to
> inherit an address from libvirt or somewhere else instead of the VM
> configuration?  I'll play around with it some more, but at least that
> mystery is solved.

The 2nd LSB of the first byte just says it's a locally generated
address rather than one of the officially-assigned OUIs.

The 1st LSB of the first byte is the important one as that's what the
Linux kernel checks and rejects if it's set (it also rejects an
address of all zeros).

-jim