Re: Device is ineligible for IOMMU domain attach due to platform RMRR requirement

On Fri, 2015-03-06 at 22:10 -0500, Steven DuChene wrote:
> Alex:
> Thanks for your quick reply and the information. One question though:
> When you say contact the platform vendor, are you talking about the
> vendor of the GPU card (NVidia) or the vendor of the system hardware
> (HP)? I.E. is the problem in the system BIOS/firmware or in the firmware
> of the GPU card?
>
> This seems like this is going to be the death-knell of PCI passthrough
> as the likelihood of getting a system vendor to fix some obscure thing
> like this seems remote.

Hi Steven,

The problem is in the system firmware; the platform vendor in your case
is HP.  The issue is actually very limited.  Most platform vendors do
not make use of RMRRs beyond the recommendations of the VT-d spec.  This
limits RMRRs in the general case to a small set of devices that are not
generally used for PCI assignment anyway.  An exemption even exists for
RMRRs associated with USB devices since their usage is known to be
limited to early boot.  That effectively limits the scope for most
vendors to UMA graphics where PCI assignment does not yet work anyway.
I expect an exemption could also be added there once the RMRR usage is
discovered and documented.

In the case you've encountered, the RMRR usage is proprietary and we
cannot know the extent of ongoing usage.  We must therefore assume that
it is in use and that the RMRR requirement of the platform must be
honored.

Obviously our goal with this change is not to pick on any specific
vendor, but to restrict PCI assignment where it can be implemented
safely, both for the platform and the VM.  RMRRs present a restriction
in how the IOVA space for a device can be used that we cannot continue
to ignore and which presents implementation issues to support in a PCI
device assignment model.  HP engineers as well as the upstream community
have been consulted on this change and agreed to the restriction.  As I
said, KVM is not the first hypervisor to implement this restriction and
PCI assignment continues to be a valuable feature on those hypervisors.
Even on affected systems, RMRRs typically only apply to physical PCI
devices.  The vast majority of PCI assignment applications are used with
networking devices where SR-IOV is far more prevalent and where SR-IOV
virtual functions are typically unencumbered by RMRRs.

I believe this change is in the best interest of PCI assignment users,
the scope of affected systems is not as widespread as it might seem from
your perspective, and workarounds are often available for the most
common use case in the form of SR-IOV VFs.  Unfortunately we don't have
SR-IOV for Nvidia Tesla cards, so again, all I can offer is to contact
the platform vendor to see if there's any chance of a firmware update
that might remove this restriction.  Thanks,

Alex