Device is ineligible for IOMMU domain attach due to platform RMRR requirement

I am attempting on ubuntu 14.04 to configure PCI passthrough of a NVidia K40 GPU card that is plugged into a HP DL580 rack mounted server. I have done all of the pre-work I normally have done in the past with pci-stub, vfio and etc but when I try an execute a qemu-system-x86_64 command that works on a similar version of debian, I get the following error in the dmesg:

Device is ineligible for IOMMU domain attach due to platform RMRR requirement. Contact your platform vendor.

I have read through the patch description from Alex at:

http://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/iommu/2014-June/008816.html

and I have read the IOMMU documentation at:

https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/Intel-IOMMU.txt

but I am still not really understanding if or what the fix is for this.

The ubuntu 14.04 system where I am getting this error is running 3.16.0-30-generic The debian system where I can do similar PCI passthrough of a NVidia K2 GPU device is running a 3.14.29-4 kernel.

Can anyone provide any insight into an fix or workaround for this?

Thanks in advance.
--
Steven DuChene