Re: [question] Why newer QEMU may lose irq when doing migration?

On 19/12/2014 04:58, Wincy Van wrote:

>> On 17/12/2014 04:46, Wincy Van wrote:
>>> Hi, all:
>>>
>>> The patchset (https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/3/18/309) fixed migration of
>>> Windows guests, but commit 0bc830b05c667218d703f2026ec866c49df974fc
>>> (KVM: ioapic: clear IRR for edge-triggered interrupts at delivery)
>>> introduced a bug (see
>>> https://www.mail-archive.com/kvm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg109813.html).
>>>
>>> From the description "Unlike the old qemu-kvm, which really never did
>>> that, with new QEMU it is for some reason
>>> somewhat likely to migrate a VM with a nonzero IRR in the ioapic."
>>>
>>> Why could new QEMU do that? I can not find any codes about the "some reason"..
>>> As we know, once a irq is set in kvm's ioapic, the ioapic will send
>>> that irq to lapic, this is an "atomic" operation.
>>
>> It can happen if the IRQ is masked in the IOAPIC, for example.  Until
>> commit 0bc830b, KVM could not distinguish two cases:
>>
>> 1) an edge-triggered interrupt that was raised while the IOAPIC had it
>> masked
>>
>> 2) an edge-triggered interrupt that was raised and delivered, but for
>> which userspace left the level to 1.
>
> It seems that QEMU's rtc behavior is case 2. But before this patchset, a rtc
> interrupt may be lost when doing migration, and guest will not acknowledge it,
> then the newer rtc interrupts are ignored forever. I think this is
> none of the cases above, because the interrupt was lost. It must be
> something wrong here.

There is a third case actually.

If the source kernel is an old one before commit 2c2bf0113697 (KVM: Use
eoi to track RTC interrupt delivery status, 2013-04-11), ioapic->irr can
also be set if the RTC interrupt was coalesced (for example because the
PPR was too high to deliver it).

Instead, commit 2c2bf0113697 will not set ioapic->irr in this case.
Yang, was this intentional?

The question, however, is then why my patch set worked (fixed migration)
even without moving

                ioapic->irr |= mask;

above this:

                if (irq == RTC_GSI && line_status &&
                        rtc_irq_check_coalesced(ioapic)) {
                        ret = 0; /* coalesced */
                        goto out;
                }

>> No, QEMU does not save the pending IRQ.  IRQs are stateless in QEMU.
>> The assumption is that after a qemu_set_irq the IRQ will be
>> delivered---possibly on the other side of the migration, but it will be
>> delivered.
>
> I find that in kvm_arch_vcpu_ioctl_get_sregs, KVM will save pending IRQs
> into sregs->interrupt_bitmap and QEMU will save it.
> Isn't it right?

This is a pending interrupt that has been queued by the kernel but not
delivered yet.  It can happen if the interrupt controller is implemented
in userspace.

Paolo