Re: [patch 3/4] KVM: MMU: reload request from GET_DIRTY_LOG path

On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 05:52:38AM -0300, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

> > > Because if its a large spte, it must be nuked (or marked read-only,
> > > which for pinned sptes, is not possible).
> > >
> > If a large page has one small page pinned inside it its spte will
> > be marked as pinned, correct?
>
> Correct.
>
> > We did nuke large ptes here until very
> > recently: c126d94f2c90ed9d, but we cannot drop a pte here anyway without
> > kicking all vcpu from a guest mode, but do you need additional skip_pinned
> > parameter?  Why not check if spte is large instead?
>
> Nuke only if large spte is found? Can do that, instead.
>
> > So why not have per slot pinned page list (Xiao suggested the same) and do:
>
> The interface is per-vcpu (that is registration of pinned pages is
> performed on a per-vcpu basis).

PEBS is per cpu, but it does not mean that pinning should be per cpu, it
can be done globally with ref counting.

> > spte_write_protect() {
> >   if (is_pinned(spte) {
> >     if (large(spte))
> >        // cannot drop while vcpu are running
> >        mmu_reload_pinned_vcpus();
> >     else
> >        return false;
> > }
> >

> > get_dirty_log() {
> >  for_each(pinned pages i)
> >     makr_dirty(i);
> > }
>
> That is effectively the same this patchset does, except that the spte
> pinned bit is checked at spte_write_protect, instead of looping over
> page pinned list. Fail to see huge advantage there.

I think spte_write_protect is a strange place to mark pages dirty, but
otherwise yes the effect is the same, so definitely not a huge difference.
If global pinned list is a PITA in your opinion leave it as is.

> I'll drop the skip_pinned parameter and use is_large_pte check instead.

Thanks,

--
			Gleb.