Re: Current KVM head crashes on startup

Amit Shah wrote:
I don't recall, it probably depends on whether frame pointers are used or not as well.

As far as I know, kvm-userspace build arguments have remained the same
for quite some time. Also, we still pass the -g flag for userspace
compilations.

Some distros change CFLAGS.

 -- maintaining
specific code can introduce such regressions.
That's a problem with assembly. x86 and x86_64 are different instruction sets.

But the code in question isn't different on the two architectures. Just
a cpuid call that hasn't changed.

The amount of available registers is different, as is the specification of which registers may be clobbered.

OK, given a patch to have just one version of the cpuid call, would you
be willing to take the risk of finding out which users it breaks for?
I'll send patches to revert and restore correct behaviour for 32-bit if
that does happen.

This is in upstream qemu so it's not my call but I wouldn't recommend breaking the build when a trivial one liner is possible.

signature is too narrow to contain.