Re: Current KVM head crashes on startup

On (Wed) Feb 18 2009 [11:26:42], Avi Kivity wrote:
> Amit Shah wrote:
>>>>
>>> I don't see why it would change, unless you can destroy all copies of
>>>  the compilers that fail with it.
>>>

>> I'd like to know which compilers fail to compile it
>
> I don't recall, it probably depends on whether frame pointers are used
> or not as well.

As far as I know, kvm-userspace build arguments have remained the same
for quite some time. Also, we still pass the -g flag for userspace
compilations.

>>  -- maintaining
>> specific code can introduce such regressions.
>>

> That's a problem with assembly.  x86 and x86_64 are different
> instruction sets.

But the code in question isn't different on the two architectures. Just
a cpuid call that hasn't changed.

>> qemu too doesn't have a dependency on gcc-3 anymore.
>>

> We aren't forcing users to use gcc 4.
>
>> Also, softwares do periodically bump up the minimum required versions of
>> their dependencies.
>
> Not for this kind of bug.

Just enumerating why just destroying all the copies isn't the only option
:-)

OK, given a patch to have just one version of the cpuid call, would you
be willing to take the risk of finding out which users it breaks for?
I'll send patches to revert and restore correct behaviour for 32-bit if
that does happen.