Re: Verifying Execution Integrity in Untrusted hypervisors

On 2014-07-28 23:17, Nakajima, Jun wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 1:27 PM, Paolo Bonzini <pbonzini@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Il 28/07/2014 20:31, Jan Kiszka ha scritto:
>>> The hypervisor has full control of and insight into the guest vCPU
>>> state. Only protecting some portions of guest memory seems insufficient.
>>>
>>> We rather need encryption of every data that leaves the CPU or moves
>>> from guest to host mode (and decryption the other way around). I guess
>>> that would have quite some performance impact and is far from being easy
>>> to integrate into modern processors. But, who knows...
>>
>> Intel SGX sounds somewhat like what you describe, but I'm not sure how
>> it's going to be virtualized.
>>

> Right. It's possible to virtualize (or pass-through) SGX without
> losing the security feature.

Interesting thing. Somehow missed this so far. Fairly complicated one,
though. Still trying to wrap my head around how attestation practically
works.

> With SGX, you can create secure (encrypted) islands on processes in
> VMs as well. But I'm not sure if it's useful for solving the problem
> described.

Huh? I thought remote attestation is a key feature of SGX? That is, to
my understanding, what Shiva is looking for (though on current hardware,
which remains infeasible unfortunately).

Jan

--
Siemens AG, Corporate Technology, CT RTC ITP SES-DE