Re: Accessing pv_info from userland

Glauber Costa wrote:
On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 8:50 AM, Avi Kivity <avi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Glauber Costa wrote:
What for? We already expose a QEMU cpu type that shows up in cpuinfo as
so.
All we'd have to do would be put the kvm information in the cpu type
too. This would work
in all kernels, without the need to patch.

For client virtualization (no migration) we'll want to support a mode where
we let the guest see the host cpuid (or as much of it as we can).

And how exactly does that invalidate what I've said ?

You'll want to expose AuthenticIntel or GenuineAMD (with the full cpu brand string) in this model. So no TheOneTrueQEMU cpu type.

As we can select the cpu type, we can easily pick one that expose as
much of the underlying cpu
as possible.

This includes the cpu type...

Hypervisor presence and type is in addition to the cpu type, not a replacement.