Re: Accessing pv_info from userland

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 5:36 PM, Anthony Liguori <anthony@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Glauber Costa wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 10:19 AM, Bryan McLellan <btm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Is there any way to access pv_info from userland? It would be useful
>>> for determining what type of virtualization the machine was running
>>> on.
>>>

>> there are usually cpuid functions reserved for that.
>>
>> for kvm, you can run function 0x40000000, and if you get
>> ebx =  0x4b4d564b
>> ecx =  0x564b4d56
>> edx =  0x4d
>>
>> you're running KVM.
>>

> Since this is a pretty standard mechanism, it may make sense to include this
> signature in /proc/cpuinfo if someone is up to writing a patch.  It could
> also be useful to expose the PV features mask in cpuinfo too.

What for? We already expose a QEMU cpu type that shows up in cpuinfo as so.
All we'd have to do would be put the kvm information in the cpu type
too. This would work
in all kernels, without the need to patch.
--
Glauber  Costa.
"Free as in Freedom"

"The less confident you are, the more serious you have to act."