Raw Disk Not Appearing in Guests

Dear reader,

Please let me know if I need to file a bug report. It does not seem
like this could be a bug, because it seems like a very natural thing
to want to do that many would have tried before.

Host OS is CentOS 6.5, kernel is 2.6.32-431.11.2.el6.x86_64, and
qemu-kvm version is 2:0.12.1.2-2.415.el6_5.7 as reported by yum.

I have an LSI 2308 SAS controller with two LSI SAS expanders that
provide multiple paths to two SAS SSDs. I will describe only the
relevant subset (a sort of minimal problematic example) of my broader
storage configuration on these devices below.

I have multipathing configured for these two SSDs, so that they appear
as /dev/mapper/system00 and /dev/mapper/system01.

I have two partitions on each device, so the partitions for one device
appear as /dev/mapper/system00p1 and /dev/mapper/system00p2, and the
partitions for the other device appear as /dev/mapper/system01p1 and
/dev/mapper/system01p2.

Corresponding partitions are configured for mdadm software raid 1.
This gives me /dev/md0 and /dev/md1. /boot is mounted on /dev/md0. On
/dev/md1, I have a physical LVM volume with a volume group, vg_system,
which has several logical volumes. These are named host_os, db_data,
vm1, vm2, vm3, ..., vmN , and appear as as /dev/vg_system/NAME.
host_os is mounted on /, and the others are mounted on /NAME, where
NAME is simply the logical volume name.

I want to install CentOS 6.5 guests using commands like:

virt-install --name=vm1 --cpu=host --vcpus=2,maxvcpus=8 --ram=2048
--os-type=linux --os-variant=rhel6 --network bridge=br1,model=virtio
--nographics --cdrom=/tmp/CentOS-6.5-x86_64-minimal.iso --disk
path=/dev/vg_system/guest_os_1,bus=virtio,cache=none

Note that I am specifying the path in /dev/ to the raw LVM logical
volumes, which I thought was supported. However, when I get into the
text-based anaconda installer for CentOS 6.5 in a guest, and I reach
the area where I am supposed to choose target storage for the
installation, no storage devices are listed. Curious, I tried several
other devices and found the following:

/dev/md0: FAILS
/dev/md1: FAILS
/dev/vg_system/guest_os_1: FAILS
/dev/mapper/system00: [*] vda 190782 MB (Virtio Block Device)
/dev/mapper/system00p2 FAILS
/dev/sda: [*] vda 190782 MB (Virtio Block Device)
file-based storage: [*] vda SIZE_OF_FILE MB (Virtio Block Device)

Failed means no disk device appears in the installer, and vda means
that the device appears.

My theories, and why each one does not explain the facts as I understand them:
1. mdadm is the problem:

I began to suspect that paravirtualization couldn't work with mdadm,
so I tried bus=ide, but it didn't make any difference. Additionally,
if mdadm is the problem, then /dev/mapper/system00p2, which is not on
top of mdadm, should would, but it doesn't.

2. multipathing is the problem
Then /dev/mapper/system00 should not work in that case, because this
is a multipath device, but it does.

3. LVM is the problem
I do not have a way to test this since I do not have any LVM volumes
not present on top of mdadm, but a) LVM is reported widely on the web
as being supported as a block device for KVM and b) it cannot be the
only problem, because /dev/mapper/system00p2 is below LVM.

I am very confused about what is happening, and I look forward to any
insights you can provide. It is particularly strange to me that the
raw disk system00 works but the partition system00p2 does not. All of
these results are repeatable, not just transient.

Best regards,

Ryan Lichtenwalter