Re: [RFC] ARM VM System Sepcification

Il 24/03/2014 10:57, Robie Basak ha scritto:
> After thinking about this a bit more, I think I see what we're actually
> discussing.  It's obvious that if software in a VM makes changes to UEFI
> variables that are required to be persistent for that VM image to boot
> again, then the VM image is no longer portable, as per the spec.
No longer portable, and given the current state of implementation, no
longer bootable, since we don't support persistent storage yet;
certainly not on OpenStack? Or do we have that now?

Are we really pushing ahead with a specification that nobody can
implement today? How far away are we from a fully compliant
implementation?

The spec says SHOULD, so I think it's fine. While support for persistent variables in the KVM stack is in the early stages, there is request and it is not ARM-specific. It will be implemented sooner rather than later at least at the libvirt level, and I suppose qemu-arm, xl, OpenStack/, Virt, XenServer and everything else will follow soon.

Paolo