Re: Questions about relation between kernel version and KVM userspace version

On Fri, 2009-01-23 at 00:47 +0100, Kenni Lund wrote:

>  I've been wondering about something for a while: How does the version
> of the kernel module and the version of the KVM userspace relate? Eg.
> if you run with a newer 2.6.27-2.6.28 kernel with the modules
> included, will you then benefit from using the modules from the latest
> KVM release together with the latest KVM userspace, or isn't it worth
> the effort?

There are a number of ways of thinking about this:

  * if you want to help out with KVM development and testing, using the
    latest released kvm.ko with your currently installed kernel might be
    a good idea. If you want to get really hard-core, use Avi's kernel
    git tree.

  * if you just want some KVM feature that isn't in your currently
    installed kernel, the latest released kvm.ko might make sense.

  * if your main concern is stability, use an unmodified kernel release
    and stable updates - e.g. 2.6.27.x or 2.6.28.x

Which version of kvm-userspace/qemu you use is a very different story -
unless you have a very old kernel version, just use the latest release
kvm/qemu release.

Cheers,
Mark.