Re: Questions about relation between kernel version and KVM userspace version

On Friday 23 January 2009 07:47:23 Kenni Lund wrote:
> Hi list

Hi Kenni

> I've been wondering about something for a while: How does the version of
> the kernel module and the version of the KVM userspace relate? Eg. if you
> run with a newer 2.6.27-2.6.28 kernel with the modules included, will you
> then benefit from using the modules from the latest KVM release together
> with the latest KVM userspace, or isn't it worth the effort?
>
> According to http://kvm.qumranet.com/kvmwiki/Downloads, it is required to
> use at least kernel 2.6.25 to run KVM userspace 76 or newer. Does this mean
> that no changes/bugfixes has been made to the KVM kernel module since
> 2.6.25? Or is it because all the major bugfixes are made in KVM userspace
> instead of the KVM kernel modules?

Three factors here: Host Linux version you are using, KVM modules, KVM
userspace. The released package you saw contained both KVM modules and KVM
userspace. You would find latest KVM modules files in /kernel directory.
That's the modules we meant to use.

And please use latest KVM release. Even Linux upstream is new, the latest KVM
is newer. If you know how Linux kernel accept patches, you would know the
upstream only accept new features when merge window is opening(and the
maintainers are more careful with Linux upstream, so maybe not all new
features can be pushed to Linux upstream). So every sub system of Linux kernel
would hold lots of patches during merge window closed period. That's why
latest KVM is newer.

> And one last thing: When I compile the latest KVM modules from sourceforge,
> I'll be able to see the KVM module version in /var/log/messages when I load
> the module. But this isn't the case when I load the modules that comes with
> the kernel - how can I see check the KVM module version of the current
> kernel? modinfo etc. doesn't give out any information.

Yeah, it have been replaced by KVM module in kvm-userspace, which is correct.
I am afraid no version for Linux upstream would show. Versions are only tags
applied on KVM upstream, no such things for kernel. And ensure you are using
latest KVM release would make keep you sync with the community and happy. :)

--
regards
Yang, Sheng