Re: error: building kvm for powerpc using cross compiler on x86

On 12.01.2011, at 21:51, Dushyant Bansal <cs5070214@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> I tried to build kernel image for powerpc-750
>>> user@user:~/project/kvm$ cp arch/powerpc/configs/pmac32_defconfig .config
>>> user@user:~/project/kvm$ make ARCH=powerpc menuconfig
>>>
>>> [I selected "KVM support for PowerPC book3s_32 processors" under virtualization menu. I have attached the final .config file]
>>>
>>> user@user:~/project/kvm$ make ARCH=powerpc CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc-750-linux-gnu-
>>> [I get this error]
>>>   CHK     include/linux/version.h
>>>   CHK     include/generated/utsrelease.h
>>>   CALL    scripts/checksyscalls.sh
>>>   CHK     include/generated/compile.h
>>>   CALL    arch/powerpc/kernel/systbl_chk.sh
>>>   CALL    arch/powerpc/kernel/prom_init_check.sh
>>>   AS      arch/powerpc/kvm/fpu.o
>>> arch/powerpc/kvm/fpu.S: Assembler messages:
>>> arch/powerpc/kvm/fpu.S:244: Error: Unrecognized opcode: `frsqrtes.'
>>> arch/powerpc/kvm/fpu.S:250: Error: Unrecognized opcode: `fre.'
>>> arch/powerpc/kvm/fpu.S:259: Error: Unrecognized opcode: `fcpsgn.'
>>> make[1]: *** [arch/powerpc/kvm/fpu.o] Error 1
>>> make: *** [arch/powerpc/kvm] Error 2
>>>
>> This means that your assembler doesn't understand some of the floating point instructions in the paired single emulation code. Since you don't need that code anyways, just comment them out.
>>

> Thanks a lot, Alex. After debugging some more errors, I was finally able to compile it.
>
> user@user:~/kvm$ make distclean
> user@user:~/kvm$ cp arch/powerpc/configs/pmac32_defconfig .config
> user@user:~/kvm$ make ARCH=powerpc menuconfig
> [I selected "KVM support for PowerPC book3s_32 processors" under virtualization menu.]
> user@user:~/kvm$ make ARCH=powerpc CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc-750-linux-gnu-
> user@user:~/kvm$ make ARCH=powerpc CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc-750-linux-gnu- modules
>
> Then, I mounted the qemu-system-ppc image "debian_lenny_powerpc.raw".
>
> user@user:/$  losetup /dev/loop0 debian_lenny_powerpc.raw
> user@user:/$  kpartx -a /dev/loop0
> user@user:/$  mount /dev/mapper/loop0p3 /mnt/image2
> user@user:/$  mount /dev/mapper/loop0p2 /mnt/image2/boot/
>
> user@user:~/kvm$ sudo make ARCH=powerpc CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc-750-linux-gnu- INSTALL_NOD_PATH="/mnt/image2" modules_install
>
> [Replaced /boot/vmlinux with the generated vmlinux]
> user@user:~/kvm$ cp vmlinux /mnt/image2/boot/vmlinux
>
> And, on booting that image [debian_lenny_powerpc.raw], I can see the new kernel image.
>
> # uname -r
> 2.6.37-rc6+
> But still, I cannot find the kvm module. File kvm.ko is not present inside "lib/modules/2.6.37-rc6+/"
>
> # modprobe kvm
> FATAL: Module kvm not found.
>
> Am I missing something? How do I build kvm module ?

Did you select it as * or M? If it's *, there is no module - everything is in the kernel and (with proper udev) you should just get /dev/kvm.

Alex