Re: error: building kvm for powerpc using cross compiler on x86

On 11.01.2011, at 13:44, Dushyant Bansal wrote:

> On Monday 10 January 2011 05:59 PM, Alexander Graf wrote:
>>
>> $ cp arch/powerpc/configs/pmac32_defconfig .config
>> $ make menuconfig ARCH=powerpc
>>
>> seems to work. I'm not sure what default config is taken by default, but apparently one of the KVM constraints isn't fulfilled. Since you want to build a kernel for a pmac32 anyways, just take that config as the basis or use the one from a VM you already have working :).
>>

>> Alex
>>
> I tried to build kernel image for powerpc-750
> user@user:~/project/kvm$ cp arch/powerpc/configs/pmac32_defconfig .config
> user@user:~/project/kvm$ make ARCH=powerpc menuconfig
>
> [I selected "KVM support for PowerPC book3s_32 processors" under virtualization menu. I have attached the final .config file]
>
> user@user:~/project/kvm$ make ARCH=powerpc CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc-750-linux-gnu-
> [I get this error]
>   CHK     include/linux/version.h
>   CHK     include/generated/utsrelease.h
>   CALL    scripts/checksyscalls.sh
>   CHK     include/generated/compile.h
>   CALL    arch/powerpc/kernel/systbl_chk.sh
>   CALL    arch/powerpc/kernel/prom_init_check.sh
>   AS      arch/powerpc/kvm/fpu.o
> arch/powerpc/kvm/fpu.S: Assembler messages:
> arch/powerpc/kvm/fpu.S:244: Error: Unrecognized opcode: `frsqrtes.'
> arch/powerpc/kvm/fpu.S:250: Error: Unrecognized opcode: `fre.'
> arch/powerpc/kvm/fpu.S:259: Error: Unrecognized opcode: `fcpsgn.'
> make[1]: *** [arch/powerpc/kvm/fpu.o] Error 1
> make: *** [arch/powerpc/kvm] Error 2

This means that your assembler doesn't understand some of the floating point instructions in the paired single emulation code. Since you don't need that code anyways, just comment them out.

> I was able to build kernel image for powerpc-44x
> [http://www.thebitsource.com/programming-software-development/how-to-install-debian-linux-on-an-embedded-system/]
>  user@user:~/project/kvm$
>  cp arch/powerpc/configs/sequoia_defconfig .config
>
> user@user:~/project/kvm$
>  make ARCH=powerpc menuconfig
>
> user@user:~/project/kvm$
>  make ARCH=powerpc CROSS_COMPILE=pwoerpc-405-linux-gnu- uImage
>
> But, I am still stuck with installing this new kernel in debian-powerpc which uses quik as the default bootloader. I tried a few things and posted the errors on
> http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/5681/install-new-kernel-in-debian-powerpc

The 440 is a completely different system that can't even load quik.

Alex