Re: kvm ppc timing stats

Ah right, makes sense. I guess you'll send a patch soon. :)

Hollis Blanchard
Mentor Graphics, Embedded Systems Division

On 12/07/2010 02:32 PM, Yoder Stuart-B08248 wrote:
I figure out what is going on here.   The timing stats convert
exit durations into microseconds.   The problem is that any
exits that take less than 1us will wind up having a duration
of 0.  After to changing to count timebase ticks instead, the
numbers add up.

By the way-- there aren't any instructions accounted for,
even though they don't cover 100% of the handler-- any
instructions that run before reading the timestamp will
get accounted to the guest.

Stuart

-----Original Message-----
From: Hollis Blanchard [mailto:hollis_blanchard@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2010 12:38 PM
To: Yoder Stuart-B08248
Cc: kvm-ppc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: kvm ppc timing stats

I don't think the numbers added up like that for us either. We treated
them
as relative data, not absolute.

I don't remember how early/late the timestamps were recorded, but
obviously
they cannot cover 100% of the handler. As the number of exits
increases,
those unaccounted-for instructions would add up... but I wouldn't
expect
that to cause errors of the magnitude you're seeing.
Perhaps there is a more obvious problem with the way certain exit
types are
recorded (or not recorded).