Re: Ubuntu

On Thu, 2009-11-12 at 11:19 +0100, Alexander Graf wrote:
> Am 12.11.2009 um 01:34 schrieb Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>  >:
>
> > Hoy !
> >
> > So it seems to be making fwd progress in fact in the karmic installer,
> > but it's -extremely- slow. Not sure what's up yet, haven't had a
> > chance
> > to really instrument it yet.
> >
> > Let me know if you want to toy with it. Basically, what I do to get
> > debug is that I take the initrd out of the ISO, and I run with:
> >
> > ./qemu-system-ppc [-enable-kvm ... or not] -cdrom <path_to_the_iso>
> > -boot order=d -m 512 -initrd=<path to their initrd copied to your
> > disk>
> > -kernel <path to a kernel to test with so you can add debug etc...>
> > -append "file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed debug="
> >
> > In a few places it looks stuck, but it's just terribly slow. However
> > it's not using much CPU on the host, seems to be sleeping mostly.
> > Could
> > be something wrong with decrementer emulation ?
>
> Oh, right. At one point in time something wrt interrupts broke, so
> you'll see that it's waiting for a dma request.
>
> Boy how I hate this whole qdev conversion.

Hehehe ok. Well, without -enable-kvm works :-) Let me know if you find
something, I won't have time to dig until next week. BTW. I've been
toying about some ideas to improve the DEC emulation too, we'll talk
about it later too. But base idea is when DEC is written, you calculate
the "target" timebase value and store that. Makes it easy to re-evaluate
on exit whether you need to trigger a DEC interrupt by comparing with
the current TB...

Cheers,
Ben.