Re: [GIT PULL] Add KVM support for Book3s_64 (PPC64) hosts v3

On 26.07.2009, at 14:10, Avi Kivity wrote:

On 07/26/2009 02:55 PM, Alexander Graf wrote:
I will need some acks from ppc people. Obviously for the non-kvm bits, but also for the kvm bits as I am not qualified to review ppc code.

Right, FWIW Ben would actually even prefer to take the whole thing in his tree.

That's likely to cause conflicts if some kvm API changes and needs modifications to this code. Perhaps the best option is for the non- kvm changes to go through the ppc tree, and for me to duplicate (but not push) them.

I agree, but that's for you two to decide I guess :-). Let's just wait for Ben to wake up.

- use MMU Notifiers

What's the plan here?

Implement MMU Notifiers as soon as I fully understand them? :-)
I'm aware of the basic concept, but the callbacks still seem somewhat magical to me.

Ask and I'll do my best to answer.

Cool, next week :-). The current version works fine without. And I need a weekend for a change :-D.

- use u64* for dirty log

Is this a userspace interface issue? if so it will need to be addressed before merging.

Yes, on big endian having a 64-bit kernel and 32-bit userspace breaks when dirty log is ulong*. Nobody saw this until now, because it's not a big deal on little endian.

I sent a patch doing the qemu side of things already, but haven't went through the kvm bits yet. Basically we can't use set_bit and test_bit for the dirty log, because they require us to have the bitmap as ulong*.

Yuck.  What do we do?  Implement set_bit_u64() and friends?

That's what I'd think we should do, yes.

For qemu I sent a patch that always uses "uint64_t" because that works fine with the current code (32-bit on 64-bit uses the right bytes for LE, 64-bit on 64-bit doesn't change). PPC is not implement yet for anyone either and for now we only have dirty logging with 64 bit kernels and 32-bit or 64-bit userspace, so that's fine too.

As soon as someone implement dirty logging on a 32-bit big endian target, it will break though, so before that day comes we need to change set_bit to set_bit_64.

Alex