Re: Virt MM DEBUG_LL support arm32

Hi Mario,

On Thu, Oct 08, 2015 at 03:07:36PM -0700, Mario Smarduch wrote:

> On 10/7/2015 2:05 PM, Peter Maydell wrote:

> >> No actually I was thinking of limiting choices to the ones that work for
> >> Virt MM during kernel config. But thought that maybe others may be
> >> supported through some options. Form me PL011 alone is enough.
> >
> > 8250 I think is what kvmtool uses, which is why that is a
> > permitted option. Not sure who's implementing ICE DCC
> > (though as I say QEMU might eventually).
>
> I see thanks for pointing that out.
>

> > thanks
> > -- PMM
> >

> I came across the issue of selecting wrong UART for DEBUG_LL while
> trying to boot arm32 on arm64. ARCH_VIRT system type defaults
> for 'Kernel low-level debugging port' are not too clear.
>
> I'm wondering if it would make sense to add entries for virtual
> system types (like QEMU Virt or kvmtool virt) and enhance
> help section with possible UART_PHYS address, also set a default
> port. It appears like hard coding is going to be deprecated.
>
> This is not a major enhancement but when you're out of options
> and you just see a blank screen anything helps. Especially for virtual
> host where you may start suspecting the host system as well. Since I
> tripped over it, I took a closer look.

I agree that it is particularly discouraging when you just get a blank
screen, and it is in fact one of the top support questions I get from
new users in private as well.

I think there were some discussions with Rob and Grant in the past about
some way for Linux to discover the location of the UART for early
printk, but I have forgotten the details and where that landed.

I personally think it would be a good idea with *any* viable easy method
to configure a kernel to support earlyprintk for our two virtual
platforms: QEMU's virt board and kvmtool's platform.

-Christoffer