Re: KVM ARM: Boot stability issues

On Monday, September 1, 2014, Zbigniew Bodek <zbb@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello Christopher,
>
> Please check out my answers in-line.
>
> Best regards
> zbb

>>> Hello again,
>>>
>>> Thank you all very much for your answers.
>>> Actually I use qemu with GDB as described here (-s -S, etc.), I've
>>> just posted the simplest command that I use to trigger the bug.
>>> So regarding your answers I would like to ask for some more clarification:
>>> * Has anyone encountered/reproduce this problem on your ARM host?
>>> * Any suggestion where to look in the KVM source for these kind of problems?
>>> * Maybe there is some unstable feature that I could disable in
>>> host/guest to narrow this issue?
>>>
>> Just checking:  Are you compiling any of your kernels in Thumb-2 mode?
>> I believe the 5250 has a hardware bug with Thumb-2 and Hyp mode.

No, I am not compiling my kernels in Thumb-2 mode.

>> Continuous reboots seems to work fine on my TC2.  I can try giving it a
>> test on an Arndale some time in the near future.  Which kernel version
>> (exact commit) are you using for your host and guest?

I used v3.17-rc1 which is: 7d1311b93e58ed55f3a31cc8f94c4b8fe988a2b9

Ok, and when you say reboot, do you mean executing 'reboot' in the guest or are you shutting down the qemu process completely and starting a new VM? Do you run any specific workload in the VM?